Trish's Pages

health, adoption reunion, original writing, recipes, amateur radio, genealogy, religion

Note That This Site Is Moving to

VE6SUM and VA6SUM Amateur Radio Pages

Our callsigns are VE6SUM/VE6XJ and VA6SUM/VA6YL. In Canada, anyone who has held an amateur radio license for five years is eligible to purchase another call sign.
Additional callsigns may be two letter rather than three letter.



I first took a ham radio class back in 1985, but we relocated to another city, before the course was finished.

I signed up for classes again in 1989, but then the company that I worked for closed its doors, and we had to move elsewhere.

At last, in 1992, I took the test, which required Morse code at 5 wpm back then, and passed. I received a Basic license which gave privileges
for 80 metres and below.

I was grandfathered to full license privileges a few years later, when the Morse code requirement was no longer required.




I took a 12 week course in 2006 and passed with a mark of 98%.

A mark of 80% is required to receive a Basic license - full licensing privileges
- while a mark of 70% to 80% gives one access to 2 metres.

There is also an Advanced Certificate available, but Basic is all the average person needs.

I was over 50 when I took the course, and I found that it took a lot of work to get the old brain in gear to actually start learning probably took six weeks
before I began to really learn the material.

Should you be *thinking* about taking a course, whether ham radio or something else, and if you are not sure that you can do it, because you are older,
or have been out of school for a long time - try it! You can succeed!


This Site

This site contains information on the Saturday Night Tailgater's Swap Net, which may be heard in most of the central and northern regions of the province of Alberta,
a list of other nets, both HF, UHF and VHF,
and a list of links of interest to amateur radio operators.


| Main ham page |Swapnet|Nets | Links|

Interested in Becoming a Ham?

If you think you might like to become an amateur radio operator, the first step is to find out if there are classes in your area. Many ham radio clubs offer courses once or twice a year.

Radio Amateurs of Canada maintains a page listing clubs throughout Canada.


Industry Canada requires that all persons who wish to achieve an amateur radio operator's license pass a multiple choice test administered by an accredited examiner.

It is not necessary to take amateur radio classes before taking the test, although most of us benefit from doing so.

There is further information from Industry Canada here

There is an Amateur Radio Exam Generator provided by Industry Canada.